Ted G.
Ted G., Rigger, Diagnostician
Experience:  40 years boating, Safe boating instruct., Offshore Race promoter, Failure Analysis, Expert Witness
7183013

I have a Cummings qsc8.3 marine Diesel engines on my 55 foot

Customer Question

I have a Cummings qsc8.3 marine Diesel engines on my 55 foot boat.
Today white smoke came out of the port Side exist as well as oil spilling out .
I shut engine off and restarted and there was a clanging noise. So I used only one engine. What could this be from
Category: Boat
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

First thought that comes to mind is a failed turbo or possibly a leaking injector. Did it run smoothly even though the engine was making noise or was it rough?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hard to tell because there was so
Much smoke I stopped right away. I didn't realize there were turbos on the engine so both of your thoughts could be what the problem is.
What about oil leaking out of the exhaust on the port side in conjunction with white smoke.
The rpm was way higher even the I had throttle sync on.. That's how I first noticed the problem.
Will it be a big job for Cummins to fix either the injectors or he turbo and can they do that kind of thing at my home or does it need to go to them typically ? just your gut thought on that?
Expert:  Ted G. replied 1 year ago.

Well, the turbos are water cooled and oil fed so if a bearing goes it makes noise, smokes white and dumps oil, so that would be consistent. But it should not make the RPMS go up, rather it should slow down. A leaking injector could do most of those things also and could make it speed up (increased fueling makes more power). Either failure could be addressed by a mobile tech. Unless you have a huge failure, the nice thing about those engines is their serviceability. And there are lots of good Cummins techs out there typically.