Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

My 37 year old aluminum diesel fuel tank has started to

Customer Question

My 37 year old aluminum diesel fuel tank has started to leak. I siphoned all the fuel out. Then I was able to access the take through an inspection port and remove all fuel. I have two water tanks on board 75 gallons each one under the port and starboard settee cushions. I don't need 150 gallons of water as I will install a water maker before I go cruising (the boat is a csy37 cutter) I want to use the port water tank as my diesel tank and just leave the old tank in the keel for storage of wine or beer (wrapped in old socks.) (I finally found a use for old socks) rather than removing the floor in the saloon to replace the existing fuel tank. What I need to know. Is the polyester tank usable as is or do I need to coat it with epoxy? Ps I am good with fiberglass and have rebuilt two keels with it. Thanks, Steve.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. I think they do a wonderful job. All Experts must pass our rigorous 8-Step Expert Quality Process. This ensures that you get the most knowledgeable, trustworthy help anywhere on the Internet. You can learn more about it here: http://ww2.justanswer.com/expert-quality-process Is there anything else important you think the Marine Mechanic should know?
Customer: No that should be all the info they need. Thank you
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.

Hi Steve, my name is***** fuel will not react with a polyester tank, so you wouldn't have to coat it or do anything fancy to it other than adding your fuel fittings to it.

Did you have any further questions on the issue, or was that your primary concern?

-Jason

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Thanks Jason. I thought diesel in polyester was fine. It was just in my research on the internet I'm seeing a lot of reference to epoxy and nothing on polyester. If I were to build a new one I would go with epoxy. I just wanted to know for sure that I won't ruin it without coating it with epoxy. Thanks again. Steve
Expert:  Jason replied 9 months ago.

Diesel won't hurt either poly or epoxy, gasoline will, but diesel will not.

I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason