Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have an 85 hp yamaha 1992, the problem is my motor wont go

Customer Question

Hello, i have an 85 hp yamaha 1992, the problem is my motor wont go in reverse in the water it makes a clicking sound but when i connect it to my hose ears in my house it does goes in reverse, i think in the water goes in reverse but not all the way
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Have you tried disconnecting the shift cable and shift the engine manually will it go into gear in the water? With no load it doesn't take much to turn the prop but in the water with the pressure of the water it might not engage completely. We need to determine if you have a gearcase issue or control and cable issue. If the engine shifts ok in the water with cable disconnected then the cable or the control are the problem. Replace the shift cable. The cables do wear out.

Post back with questions and findings.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
The clicking sound is only on the water i guess when it has to work harder at my house with a hose it doesn't do it.
Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.

The gearcase isn't going into gear fully. Replace the shift cable.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No, I haven't tried putting it on reverse manually on the water. Lets say is not the cables and control what other thing could be??
Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.

The gearcase or stiff linkage on the engine. Does the linkage on the engine move freely? It isn't likely the gearcase is bad going into reverse as you don't go into reverse as much under a heavy load like in forward. Leaving the engine linkage being stiff or control cable.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
goes freely i mean as it has always been? I'll will keep you posted thank u
Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.

Ok that leaves the control cable as the problem unless the gearcase has gotten water init or is tearing up. Have you checked the gear lube for dirty gear lube? Either water contamination or signs of metal in the lube?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hey Tan, i did what you told me about switching to reverse manually without the cables and still does the clicking sound. I gues i'll have to open the gearcase but i dont have to much experience on it may have to take it to a mechanic. Anything else you sugest i do before taking to a mechanic
Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.

Now does it do this in the water or just on the flush attachment?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Just on the water it doesn't do it with the flush attachment
Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.

Can you put the gearcase in drive now and see if the prop locks when you turn the prop counter clockwise? Engine not running.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
When i put in in forward with the motor off the prop locks counter clock wise and freely clock wise, when in put on reverse the prop locks both directions
Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.

Ok this indicates we have a linkage issue. Is the linkage sloppy on the engine?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Please is the linkage you talking about right by where the cables connect? If is so is a little loose but very minimum
Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.

The linkage from where the cable connects to the lower unit.

If these bushings # ***** 43 and 53 are worn out the gearcase won't shift correctly. http://www.marineengine.com/parts/yamaha-outboard-parts/1992/85/C85TLRQ/620302990012

If the linkage is tight that leaves only one thing the gearcase as the issue.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I switch gears manually and is not as smooth as it should be either its a little hard
Expert:  Tan replied 9 months ago.

Ok I would repair the linkage then go from there. The linkage is allot cheaper to repair than the lower unit. It isn't very common for the gearcase to go out in reverse. Forward is more likely.