Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Do you have dva tests and specifications 1996 polaris SL1050

Customer Question

Do you have dva tests and specifications for a 1996 polaris SL1050 PWC?
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Mechanic can help you best.
Customer: Installed ignition upgrade kits that include the CDI box and stator on two identical 1996 Polaris SL1050 PWC's. These parts came from SBT. The only way the machines will start and run right is hooking the battery up to a charger on high. I have tried a different stator & cdi box from different manufactuers. Tried new circuit board,voltage regulator,ignition coil and plugs. Sent upgrade kit back to SBT and they said it checked fine on their test engine. I've tried different batteries even tried regular deep cycle boat cranking battery wich changed nothing. Is there a possibility that I have bad flywheels. Have done all of the factory timeing setting according to the manual.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: I think that is pretty much it.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Hi this is Kenny, boy you been through the ringer on this, do you have access to a multi-meter ? I'm sorry, do you have the model code, if not I will need the HIN (Hull identification number)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a multimeter with a DVA adapter. One is a 1997 polaris SL1050 hin# ***** and the other is a 1997 Polaris SLTX hin# *****
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

You stated it was a 1996, these are actually 1997's These are CDI and should not rely on battery voltage to power the CDI unit as they are self generating. So what are you requesting here, you have two units you just listed, why ?

You are confusing me at this point, I read you are having a starting problem ? So please answer these questions and we'll move forward.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No I have a problem with spark being weak. Both machines are having identical problem. They only run right with battery charger on high on battery.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

So this question is going to be for 2 machines with the possibility of different problems on each machine ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If we figure out one it should be the same fix for the other. Both are doing the same thing.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

I would likely disagree that two machines having the exactly the same problem is highly unlikely as I know about the numbers thing, and I will be honest with you that the money posted for a (one) electrical diagnosing repair is marginal let alone two machines, and you know first off finding someone to work on these old Polaris's and with most dealer rates at or over $100.00 per hour, I'm going to opt out on this, maybe one of the other experts will take your question.

Sorry