Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have an old Mariner 90HP approx 1993, it needed rewired,

Customer Question

I have an old Mariner 90HP approx 1993, it needed rewired, so once i had rewired all the new gauges etc. powered everything up and all was good. however when i turn the key there is a constant tone coming from the ignition, the oil reservoir is at max and the engine is pumping tonnes of water.
JA: Sometimes boat issues seem like they'll be really complicated, but end up being easy to fix. The Marine Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Is there anything else the Marine Mechanic should be aware of?
Customer: i have disconnected the 2 blue wires from the oil sensor, with no change, and i have disconnected the tan/bluw wire from the temp sensor, with no change.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Marine Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Can I get the model and/or serial number on the engine please.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My name is Jonny,It is a Mariner 90HP 3 cyl, S/N:(###) ###-####
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Jonny,

That serial number does not come up as valid. Are there any other numbers on the plate that you took that serial number off of?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi, i am not at the boat atm, but i have given that number to someone before when trying to get hold of a manual, and they were able to find it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
see attached picture of where i got the number.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I'm not able to do anything with that number. The proper number will be on a metal tag on the clamp bracket portion of the outboard. There are no time limits here, so just reply back once you get the proper numbers and we can go from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the only number i could see is the one in the picture.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Step 1 is identifying the engine, if we cant do that I don't think this is something i will be able to help you with.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what would the serial tag look like? usually its a rectangle with 5/6 bits of info, but i dont see anything like that on mine.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

It depends on who makes it. I don't know if you know this but Mercury bought Mariner a long time ago. If the engine was made when Mercury owned it, it would look simililar to this link below

http://www.marineparts.com/partspages/techhelp/tech3.htm

If it was made before Mercury bought Mariner, it would look like this, in this link below

http://forums.iboats.com/filedata/fetch?id=7019017&d=1400690670

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i will take a look when i am back at the boat and get back to you.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Okay