Kenny O.
Kenny O., Personal Watercraft Specialist, Kawasaki Jet Ski, Yamaha Wave Runners, Sea Doo Watercraft
Experience:  Product Specialist Kawasaki Factory Support 24 Years, 8 years National Technical Director IJSBA
30381042

Trouble with 1989 Yamaha 115 hp outboard,no spark ignition

Customer Question

Trouble with 1989 Yamaha 115 hp outboard,no spark ignition coils..only some times onse it fires I'll be good for the hole day.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 9 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. The problem here seems to be either coming from The safety lanyard switch or from the ignition switch. What i suggest you do is to open the control box and check these switches as most probably one of them is the problem.

If you need further assistance let me know.

Noel

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ok but where the safety lanyard switch is located. Since I have two motors I I already test the ignition switch by interchanging wire harnesses.plese tel me if by grounding brown wire from stator to power pack for a split second it's bad for electrical sistem?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Ps now I know the lanyard swith has been disconnected a long long time ago.l own this boat for aver 8 years an resently start this problem
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Noel you still with me? I have not hear from you the past 10 hours! Do you have any other solution to fix my problem?please let me now so I can move on with the problem. I'm wandering why have not revive no Email at***@******.***.

Hello sorry for the late reply, have you checked the connection of the lanyard switch since you have said you disconnected it?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Noel, still weating for an answer on mi request?with all do respect by now you have not responded to my last two comments so if you wanted a good feed back from me I ask you to refund my money back...
Thanks Javier Rios
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

Hi Javier my name is ***** ***** you still need help on this ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi. Kenny...yes I still need an answer since Noel didn't fix the problem...and hasn't contact me in my last 3 request..he isn't really a good mechanic...if you need more info, let me know! Thanks Javier
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

I meant dynamic checks

Sorry

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
to refresh my question for a1989 Yamaha 115 hp 1.75 Lt.problems getting start the engine it turns no sparks on the ignition coils...onse starts its good for a few days..after that no spark on ignition coils again..
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

OK, thanks, ***** ***** if I'm wrong, you stated that that you ground the brown wire, if that how you get it to start or something else ?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Hi Kenny yes the only way I can get it to start is by giving a little bit of a ground to the brown wire that comes from the stator to the power pack.ones I get it to start like I mentioned it will be ok for a few days as long I keep starting it every day.thanks looking forward to fix this problem.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

Javier that really doesn't make sense, (not that I'm questioning you) but that is really odd, the brown wire is part of what they call the "charge" coil which I refer to as the exciter coil, this is the coil that charges up the CDI for ignition, by grounding that wire it would interrupt the charge to the CDI. So I'm going to give you some spec's so the next time you go to start the unit and it will not start I want you to check resistance on the trigger coil and then the exciter coil. You might have already tested the resistance on these coils, but what I would like from you is a dynamic reading (checking for AC voltage out of those two coils) I will post up a PDF file and if you can get some results back to me then we'll move forward from there, I have something else but I want you to try this first.

Thanks Javier !

Kenny

Give me a bit here and check back in about 20 minutes

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 9 months ago.

Javier, click on the link and download a copy

Thanks

http://www.hightail.com/download/ZWJVTkZ1UzdOQno0WjlVag