Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a problem with my 2011 verado 225. I have alot of

Customer Question

Hi i have a problem with my 2011 verado 225. I have alot of engine oil running though my cooling system. The oil seems to block up exhaust at the prop and sends oil water and oil out though the poppit valve and the relief of the fuel module in the back of the leg
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you today.

About how much oil are you going through per trip?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I had it running in my drive and it dump about 2 gallons though the cooling system in a few minutes
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.

WOW, it only holds 7 Qts.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
My calculations might be wrong as I work in litres but I was filling it up to the top of the district. I was dumping a full bottle of oil
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Dip stick
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.

ok, so you were adding oil as it ran?

Let me see if I can locate a service bulletin

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No i just filled it up then ran it. The water was coming out of the poppet Vale and the relief on the fuel module then that turned to oil. When I removed the poppet valve before I started the job there was oil In there as well
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Initially I was out on the water and I had low oil pressure alarms coming up so I shut it down and drove home on my second engine. When I got home most of the oil was already gone but there was a drip coming from the hole near the cav plate so I assumed it was the drive shaft seals. I removed the powerhead and changed those seals. After the seal job I realised I had another problem. Like I said there was already oil behind the poppet valve before I started the job
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.

Ok, There are 2 locations that the oil can get into the cooling passages easily when not in the water. The cylinder head and the Integrated Oil Moduale, or IOM. There is a bulletin on the IOM. Are you near the boat now and can do a quick check?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm not near the boat at the moment. I finish work in about 10hours. How can I check these? If it's a quik check I can call in to home quikly and do it
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.

You would need to remove the top of the IOM. If is on the right side of the engine where the oil filter is. There is a large Cir-clip that holds it in place.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm familiar with where that is. What am I Looking for after I remove the top
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.

You will want to make sure that all of the tubes are swedged into the plate correctly. They are done at the top and the bottom of the IOM.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I will check that and get back to you when I've done it. Thanks
Expert:  Charles replied 9 months ago.

Your welcome. I am on the site from after 6 PM CST weekdays and after 10 AM CST, weekends. When you reply, if I am not online, I will be notified and reply back to you when I log on.