Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I am going to look at a used boston whaler rage 14' jet

Customer Question

I am going to look at a used boston whaler rage 14` jet boat, man wants 3,000.00
I have heard there are many problems with the engines on these. The boat has very low hours and looks new, what should i ask /and look for, i don`t want to buy a piece of junk.
Hearl
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** will be assisting you tonight.

Is there an online ad for this boat that I could look at?

Do you know which engine is in this boat?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The boat is listed on Craigslist, in the search box type " Boston Whaler Jet Boat" . The listing will appear, click on it and you should be able to view pictures. If you see Boston Whaler Jet Boat Lake Placid FL that`s the one. I have not talked to the owner yet, that will happen tomorrow when i go to look at it. I am not familiar with jet boats, anything special i should ask. I will see what engine is in it, what year of manufacture, and any problems with it. Do you recommend anything else ? Thanks, Hearl
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** not really any info in that ad. The outside of the boat looks clean.

I would look into the impeller/jet housing to see how bad any scoring is.

Ask when was the last full service completed.

Take a 13/16" spark plug socket and remove one of the plugs. If they are coated black, plan on replacing them.

Check the throttle and shift cables to see if they are tight. Make sure that the steering works.

If you have a compression gauge, I would take it and check the compression of the engine as well.