Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 60hp Mercury 4 stroke 2006 fuel inject out board on

Customer Question

I have a 60hp Mercury 4 stroke 2006 fuel inject out board on a Suntracker Pontoon that has been serviced and when we put it back in the water after starting and running for about 20 seconds the warning whistle comes on , it is a continuous whistle and then the motor shuts down, you could restart it and the same thing would happen, I got the boat mechanic to check it at the jetty and he checked the oil pressure and reckoned it was a bit low and we pulled the boat out and he took it back to his work shop, he rang me that night and said the oil pick up was blacked and he cleaned it out and it was running fine, anyway we put it back in and I went for a cruise up the river for about 3 hours with no problems , when I got back into the open water area I gave it more throttle up to about 5.5 revs to see how it would preform , it ran well for about a minute then it started missing and the whistle came on about then 20 seconds later it stalled.
I had to tow the boat back to my jetty and when I rang the mechanic he told me he would have to get a computer to connect to the motor to find the problem.
I never had any problems with the motor before the service , he did take the motor off the boat to sort out a steering bush that need to be replaced other than that I would have thought if he serviced the motor there wouldn't be any sludge to block the oil pick up in the first place.
You can start the motor but only 20 seconds then the warning whistle comes on , I have noticed that the motor sounds like its starved of oil in the top end like the tappets need adjusting , the water tell tail isn't blocked and has a strong stream when running so I wouldn't have thought it was over heating.
The mechanic who did the job has been paid and isn't returning calls so I would like to know your thoughts before I go and confront him about this
Thanks Chris
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Hello Chris. My name is***** will assist you.

Would you please post the serial number of he engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Charles
1T008831
Cheers Chris
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Hi Chris, on that serial number, I am either getting a 115 or a 40 depending on the first two of the number. It is either 0T, or 1B, can you verify this?

Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Chris, you could also post the model number and I can look it up that way. I am logging off for the night. I will be back on after 630 PM CST in the USA. Looking forward to working with you. Charles.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry Charles the number on my Rego Papers is different to the the number on the motor anyway I checked it and its
1C 008831
Cheers Chris
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

That one works, thank Chris.

Was the engine ever scanned? If so, what errors were found?

Your alarm, is it a beeping tone or a steady tone?

Do you have a multimeter to do some testing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Steady one
The mechanic is coming around with a computer tomorrow to see if he can diagnose the problem
The problem is I've paid him $650 for the service and steering
So just don't no why I should be up for something that wasn't a problem before I took it to him
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Just let him scan it. but dont correct anything. Let me know what the Fault History of the engine is. I bet that it is Overheat, or something with the battery. Either way, I can tell you how to fix it your self, all you will need to do is buy the parts. I am a certified Mercury Tech, and work in a busy repair shop during the day.

I have been doing outboards for over 11 yrs now, and the only time that I need to clean an oil pick up tube is if the motor suffered a failure and there is metal in the oil sump.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Charles
The mechanic came around but didn't bring his meter , he reckons the knocking noise coming from the motor is probably a piston so he needs to pull the boat out to check it out.
I don't know why it happened as I told him that we had the motor running about 5,500 rpm and for about 200 meters when the whistle came on and then it stalled.
It sounds like piston slap to me but for that to happen you would thought it would have been cooked but the tell tail stream was strong so not sure what else to do
Cheers Chris
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

The way the water flow is on this engine, it is very possible that it did get hot without losing the tell tale. Have you done a compression test yet?

when the engine is idling, would squeezing the primer bulb make the sound go away?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Charles
I started the motor and primed the fuel bulb which had plenty of fuel in it but I still primed it after it ran for a minute the rattle was less evident, I ran the motor for 5 mins and there was no whistle and it idled ok.
I then gave the motor a bit of throttle and you could pick up a bit of a rattle but nothing like before, I then let it idle for another few minutes and it didn't stall and no warning whistle came on, I haven't got a compression gauge but might by one and test the compressions do you know what compressions the motor should have and do you think I should still do this
Cheers Chris
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Chris,

When doing a compression test, use the throttle advance to place the throttle at wide open, with out shifting the motor into gear. Remove all 4 plugs, install the tester into one of the plug holes, turn off your kill switch, then crank the motor over until the gauge maxes out. You should get 160+ PSI. All 4 cylinders should be with in 10% of the highest number.