Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Tilt on my 250 Verado's. The starboard tilt refuses to work

Customer Question

Tilt on my 250 Verado's. The starboard tilt refuses to work unless I touch the starter.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: With the motors up and cold, the dual and single tilt switch for the starboard engine will not lower the motor the port motor works fine. I found if I touch the sarter of the starboard engine the tilt works. These are 2008 Verado's with 600hrs.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Marine Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $26 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 10 months ago.

Hello, This is Charles. Thank you for requesting me.

What are you touching the starter with?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just turning key to start then immediately off. After that the tilt works.
Expert:  Charles replied 10 months ago.

That is really odd. How are your batteries wired? A pic of them really would speak a thousand words.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Each engine wired directly to it's own AGM battery. I believe the ground is shared between batteries. I suspect a ground problem, but I've cleaned the ground connections at the batteries. Not sure where to clean on engines.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Does the tilt mechanism use a different wire at the batteries then the heavy yellow wire from the engines. There are multiple wires at the battery negative post on each battery. I know the charger has a wire to the positive and negative of each battery. The engines don't require the battery switches to be on to start.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'll send pic's Friday
Expert:  Charles replied 10 months ago.

On the engine, the ground is located on the right side, below the fuel filter. There is a nut holding several ring terminals there.

Does both trim motors sound the same?

The tilt gets its power from the engine post, inside the electric box on the right side.

Has the port engine had a reflash of the PCM and the STBD did not?

Friday sounds good. I have a day job as well and I will not log on until after 630 PM CST. Then I will be here from after 10 AM on Sat and Sun.