Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Tan my name is .I recently changed the gear box seals on my

Customer Question

Hi Tan my name is ***** ***** changed the gear box seals on my 25 hp evinrude 1996 HE L EOR, smae time cjhecked water pump looked ok reassembled and tested had cooling water from outlet, restarted 2 days later no water at outlet is it possible for the thermostat to suddenly die, if the thermostat has frozen shut would this stop the water flow regards ken
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: what further info would you require
JA: OK got it. Last thing — Marine Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $26 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

Hello Ken.

Thermostat won't affect the water outlet discharge.

Anytime you have the lower unit off and the pump disassembled you knock corrosion loose. The corrosion can get in the outlet can clog. Remove the outlet hose from the engine nipple # ***** where it attaches to the engine. Clear the fitting and start engine you should have water. If you do then reattach hose. That should fix your issue. If it doesn't post back with findings.http://www.marineengine.com/parts/evinrude-johnson-parts-diagrams/JOHNSON/49911.gif