Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Recently bought a 1977 Wellcraft Airslot 165 and original

Customer Question

recently bought a 1977 Wellcraft Airslot 165 and original trailer with no title. trying to get a break-bond title for the trailer, but the ID sticker is worn and torn, so don't know what make the trailer is, so they can't issue a title till I somehow find out. I'm assuming it is a 1977 trailer, but the only things readable on the sticker is gvw (2200), model number: 16U-1650, serial number: 60561C, or 60861C, or possibly 60661C. the sticker is too worn and torn to tell for sure what that 3rd digit is. can you tell me who manufactured the trailer? any way of knowing what that third digit is? if you can't answer this, how can I find out this info? thank you, ***** ***** a great day! Shane Erickson, Lincoln, Mt
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Hi Shane, my name is Jason.

Typically when you can not find any identifying marks on a trailer you would register/title it as home made. Is there any reason you can not do that?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I replied back to you yesterday via the link on the email I received sayin you had the answer, but evidently was not logged in at the time. to answer your question - I can go a whole different route that will let me call it a homemade 2016 trailer, but they said that is the last resort - attempt to find correct info first
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

There is no way to determine who made the trailer with the info you have supplied. If there are no other identifying names on the trailer all you can do is title it as home made. What you have to keep in mind with trailers is 95% of them are not made by a large company with a recognizable name. The majority of all boat trailers, especially if you are talking about something from the 70's, were made one at a time by a small business that operated out of a basic industrial park. They were not mass produced by a large company with a large plant. Just a couple of guys could weld that decided to form a small business is who made the trailer. Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
yea - that makes sense, however, dmv says the manufacturer should be identified by the last (I think) digit of vin # ***** thanks anyway
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

There is no VIN numbers on a trailer. At this point you could tell them whatever you want to tell them, they would literally have no way research this own their own. I'm in Florida and I deal with trailers all the time. If you don't want to go the home made route, just tell them it's an EZ Loader, which is a recognizable brand name. They won't have any way to tell you it's not something else.

Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Jason - while I am happy with your very prompt efforts, communication, etc, and will behappy to leave positive rating, I will be asking for a refund, as my question still has not been answered. I can not legally do as you say and call it just anything at this point, as there is a notorized affidavit attached. according to mvd, next step is to formally request vehicle records release. if that doesn't work, I have to apply for a new state issued vin #. that's what they (mvd) is telling me here in Montana.
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Personally that is why I would simply title/register it as home made. Anything else is way more trouble than it's worth for a 38 year old boat trailer.

Good luck!

Jason