Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Test drove & bought 1998 19' Pro Sport with '99 130hp V-4 2

Customer Question

Test drove & bought 1998 19' Pro Sport with '99 130hp V-4 2 stroke Yamaha with DFI gas/oil. Motor ran great during test. Perfect. Had appr 1/4 tank of gas. Seller took girlfriend out later day of test leaving tank very low. Took 44 gals to fill up. Seller unsure of tank size. Offered personal check but he preferred cash/cashier check. POINT: weather, etc was 5 wks before took out myself. Filled w/fuel, bought new battery, charged/changed, changed oil. Had new plugs to change later. Bought water ears to flush & crank at home. Seemed slow but cranked. Unloaded off and FINALLY cranked. Would not idle. RPMs/speed would increase significantly without touching throttle. Was choppy on Neuse Sunday but...told wife fuel or other issue but chopiness and working trim could affect. Motor felt bogged down. Thinking ethanol issue and/or trashy gas. Help??
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you today.

Would you please post the full model number off the engine?

What have you already checked?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will report model number to you asap. Was exhausted yesterday after the embarrassing fiasco we experienced Sunday.
I've not done anything to the motor other than researchinges the symtoms. I will get the info to you in about an hour, Thank you for your help & patience.
Mitch
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello Charles,
The model number as I saw it was:
S130TXRW.
Thank you Charles...
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Oops, under the first row I sent was:
704871
Sorry,
Mitch
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Local Mechanic Recommendations. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'm getting confirmation of being charged $32...FOR WHAT??
I USED E-MAIL SO I COULD REFER BACK TO IT...Charles only asked for the model number which I replied. I don't like admitting it but I have only one hand due to a car accident but still TRY to fix what I can. I can do small jobs and thought this service would be helpful. But NO, INSTEAD YOU SCREW ME OVER. I FIGURED I WAS THROWING AWAY $32. I PLAN TO USE EVERY SOCIAL MEDIA KNOWN TO WARN PEOPLE "JUST ANSWER" WILL TAKE YOUR MONEY AND NOT TRY TO ANSWER ONE''S QUESTION. APPRECIATE THE HE'LL OUT OF BEING KICKED WHEN I'M DOWN. GIVE ME MY $32 OR LOOK FOR MY THOUGHTS ON FACEBOOK, TWEETER AND THE BBB!
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
the request for a mechanic...that was the only option left to me. This site sucks and I plan on telling it!!
Expert:  Charles replied 11 months ago.

Hello Mitch. You replied while I was at me day job. We do thin on the side in out free time. I am on here from after 630 PM until about midnight weekdays, and most of the day on the week ends. If you would like to continue, please let me know. Chalres

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I guess. I apologize for my rant but I do not want to pay more. The correct model number, I think, is S130TXRW with the numbers 704871. Also, I told you it was a 1998 but has 06-97 on it. I found some info and cranked it today. Amazing what a little info will do. I still think the bastard I bought it from bout run it out of gas and if got bottom tank trash or Ethanol goo in the line. We had talked about keeping ethanol gas tanks from half full minimum to full. I had it idling this morning and bought additive to remove trash, goo or moisture....but minus a 30 min ride have nearly a full tank.....
Expert:  Charles replied 11 months ago.

There was only one fee for the question.

The motor is a 98, the model number is ***** There is nothing that will remove trash from a fuel system, but what you can do is remove the bowl from the fuel filter, dump the bowl and clean it out. Then remove the filter and clean it. If you see allot of trash in it, I would consider having the tank cleaned.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** will try that. That sounds logical.
How in the world could they clean the tank for 2 reasons:
1-it's nearly full of fuel, so the fuel has to be removed...???
2-the tank is built into the side of the boat. Is there a tool or some way to clean the tank without removing, if it can be removed??
Thank you so much Charles! I appreciate you!
Mitch
Expert:  Charles replied 11 months ago.

They would have to pump the tank and store the fuel as they did the job. There are machines that do it with it installed in the boat.

Make sure that your current fuel does not have any water in it.

Also I would do a compression test on the engine.