Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma
41498811

After 20 minutes motoring the engine cuts out. The engine

Customer Question

After 20 minutes motoring the engine cuts out. The engine will then not turn over. I have hot wired the solinoid and the engine turns over indicating plenty of battery power but with the key on it will not fire left for 20 minutes and it turns over and runs 4 another 20 or so minutes and same again
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. will the engine turn over again after some time? Are there any alarms / flashlights in gauges when it shuts down?

Noel

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The engine turns over and starts after about 20 minutes. There are no alarms or warning lights there is still 12 volts at engine as when the solinoid is bypassed the engine turns over but still will not fire

Ok the problem you are describing seems to be related to dirty injectors. I suggest you first start by removing the injectors and getting them cleaned with ultrasonic. Also replace the spark plugs if they have not been replaced for a long time. If the problem persists then you would need to get someone with a diagnostic computer to check all the sensors.

Noel

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do dirty injectors cause the starter not to turn over after the engine stops?

Ok I misunderstood your reply as I tought the engine turns over but does not start. In your situation it looks like after about 20 mins the ecu is loosing power. At this stage ut could be a variety of things from a loose wire to an overheating ecu... what I suggest you do is to inspect all wiring for loose connections and if.the problem persists then you would need to get the ecu out and checked