Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I Have a 60 pro series that starts with no problem. But

Customer Question

I Have a Johnson 60 pro series that starts with no problem. But after running about 1-2 minutes it will cut out. I have replaced the hose and bulb line from the fuel tank but I believe it is still getting air into the system causing it to shut down. on the right side of the engine there is a turnable screw with a red plastic pointer attached. There i fuel leaking there. What is it and would it be these cause. Johnny T Umatilla Fla.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hi Johnny. My name is Tan.

That is the fuel primer solenoid. The lever should be turned in this position. Run position. If it still leaks the solenoid needs to be replaced as this will allow the fuel system to suck air.

Now do this just as a test. Start the engine when it starts to die squeeze the primer bulb does the engine pick up rpms?

Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

The purpose of the fuel primer solenoid is to inject fuel into the intake for cold starts. Many people call this the choke.

Post the engine model number the fuel primer solenoid can be repaired in many cases.