Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have been given an old outboard motor, model no. JII2IE,

Customer Question

I have been given an old Johnson outboard motor, model no. JII2IE, what is the fuel mix and any tips on getting it started and running it. Thanks Geoff
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

Hello Geoff. My name is Tan.

Could the model number be JH21? Do you know the hp?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have just taken the model no. of the plate, its JII2IE, serial no. 29973, its old
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

Ok the model number that I can find is only the JH21. Does this look like the cowl?http://www.marineengine.com/parts/evinrude-johnson-parts-diagrams/JOHNSON/381410-FUEL-TANK-AND-MOTOR-COVER-GROUP.gif

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
yeah that's it
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

Ok your engine is a 1966 3 hp.

The fuel oil ratio is 50:1 or 2.56 ounces of 2 stroke oil to one gallon of gas. The start procedure is turn gas on # ***** pull choke # ***** out crank engine. Have the throttle lever at about 1/4 to 1/2 pull start engine when engine fires push choke to half and move throttle lever to where engine idles. Let warm up. http://www.marineengine.com/parts/evinrude-johnson-parts-diagrams/JOHNSON/381410-FUEL-TANK-AND-MOTOR-COVER-GROUP.gif

Post back with questions. If engine doesn't start we need to check compression and spark.

Post back with findings.