Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 2004 75hp 2 stroke Merc and have a problem with the

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2004 75hp 2 stroke Merc and have a problem with the tilt motor. When driving the boat onto the trailer with the outboard tilted up slightly, I noticed that the motor bled down until it bottomed out with a loud thud and there was fluid leaking from the reservoir. Once I pulled the boat onto land, the fluid was leaking a pink colour so saltwater has got into the system. Do you think this can be repaired or is a replacement required ? Also, what would have caused the motor to bleed down whilst driving forward please ?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

The unit will have to be replaced. The unit leaking down is due to the leak and water in the system. When the fluid becomes contaminated with salt water it will cause valves to stick and not function correctly leading to trim leaking down when under pressure. The system can't hold hydraulic pressure when valves are sticking due to contaminated fluid.

Post back with questions.

Thank you.........Tan

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi TanThe unit was not leaking fluid when the motor bled down. It started leaking after the motor bled down and bottomed out.
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

The motor bleeding down is a failed valve in the up circuit of the trim pump. Since the fluid was pink this tells me it has been leaking. The leak may have been letting water in and had not started leaking externally. When the valve failed this cause pressure in the wrong arewa of the tirm pump causing the external leak. Without tearing the unit down I can't tell you exactly what valve failed or what caused the failure. But from experience the water caused the problem. The fluid being pink tells me you have been getting water in the system longer than you think.