Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma
41498811

Dominic. I have a 2009 optimax 1.5 litre when you turn key

Customer Question

Hi Dominic. I have a 2009 optimax 1.5 litre when you turn key to start engine turns over but will not start. I did notice that when it ran previously on start up initial turn over (before start) the smart gage tacho would increase slowly to over 1000 rpm however now it does not move.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. First thing you need to check is that the safety lanyard switch on the control box is on the ON position. Then check the fuses located on the engine inside a fuse box located on the starboard side of the engine next to the ecu. Make sure all fuses are ok. If they are then you would need to check the air and fuel pressures. to do this you would require a pressure gauge which if you do not have i suggest you speak to a mechanic as it would be more expensive to buy the part.

If you need further assistance let me know.

noel

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Noel. I do not think my control box has a safety lanyard sw. It's the dual type however I am only using one side. Would the engine still turn over in normal control situations with the lanyard out? Also what should be the pressure readings and if they are wrong how do you correct?

Yes with the lanyard out the engine would still turn but it will cut all the spark. So i suggest you first start by checking that there is spark coming to the plugs. As for the pressure air pressure should be between 78-82psi whilst fuel pressure should be between 88 to 92 psi.

Noel

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Noel,I had a 3 day window as the boat was on a marina. Since the day before yesterday it was moved back to swing mooring. What colour wires coming off the ignition switch harness are normally associated with safety lanyard. As I mentioned I have a mercury dual control box and only using one side?

Hi the lead that is with the ignition switch going to the lanyard switch is black yellow, then from the lanyards switch there is another switch to gnd.

Noel

Do you require further assistance? Kindly rate my service.

Thanks,

Noel