Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

Brother has a 2006 Yamaha 50hp two stroke engine that will

Customer Question

Brother has a 2006 Yamaha 50hp two stroke engine that will not start. He can spray starting fluid in and it will run until it burns the fluid out and then it dies. Carbs have been checked for buildup everything is ok. Fuel runs out when he loosens drain screws but will not start and stay running. Ideas?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

Hi David, my name is Jason.

There are only 3 real scenarios that can happen when an engine will run on starting fluid, but not the gas you have. And those are (from most common to least common)

1. Bad gas

2. weak spark output

3. Low engine compression

Those are the 3 things that would need to be checked. You would first want to get another gas can, no matter how old the gas in the boat is, and try it on that. As well as checking engine compression, and spark output with an adjustable gap spark tester. Does that all make sense?

Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

I don't know what you have an have not done (other than something about the carbs) Do you have any further questions for me on the issue?

Expert:  Jason replied 10 months ago.

I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you have a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you,
Jason