Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

, have a 1979 evinrude 4 cyl. cylinder three and four

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: have a 1979 evinrude 4 cyl . cylinder three and four are not working. have great spark. but after running engine, both lower cylenders are dry and plugs look brand new
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $26) to post your type of question to Boat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: how long
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

This is usually caused by a clogged carburetor. The top 2 cylinders work from the top carb and the bottom 2 cylinders work off the bottom carb. Now since you have spark that leaves the bottom carb as the possible issue.

Now it can be more serious the bottom crankshaft seal fails then the bottom 2 cylinders won't work correctly. Now what we can do is remove the bottom drain plug on each side of the bottom carb. Do you have fuel?

Post back with findings and questions.

We should also do a compression test to eliminate a possible compression issue.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
fuel in carb. compression is 100 and 100
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

How long has the engine been sitting since it ran correctly?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
started running weird about three month, has not been sitting. trying to get it right and running each month
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
when I put it in the water and start it up. I get raw fuel coming from around the lower unit and exhaust covers.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
have to log out. will check shortly. thanks you
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

Raw fuel is caused by a flooding carb, bad fuel pump or weak spark.

If you squeeze the primer bulb does it get firm or can you continue squeezing the bulb

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the problem is, I am not getting any fuel to the bottom cylinders , even with fuel in the lower carb. my plugs are dry.
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

Then you have a clogged up carb. I posted that in my first sentence. That is the purpose of squirting fuel into the bottom carb to be sure the cylinders will fire.

From here we have to verify. This is the purpose of the tests I posted. This is a process of elimination.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
blub ferm
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

That tells us you don't have a bad fuel pump or flooding carb. Next is squirting fuel into the carb. If it doesn't fire then we have to check the quality of the spark. The spark must jump a 7/16" gap on a spark gap tester to fire the fuel.

Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

Ok Bobby I'm logging off for the night. Let me know what you find after the tests I posted and we can continue tomorrow.

If the engine runs better when you squirt fuel into the bottom carb the bottom carb has clogged jets. Remove the carbs disassemble, clean and install carb kits.

Thank you.......Tan