Charles
Charles, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) Certified Mercury Marine Tech with over a decade of repair experience.
67216606

I have a lewmar 48st winch with an electrical motor on it. I

Customer Question

I have a lewmar 48st winch with an electrical motor on it. I wanted to service it, but I can't get the last set of gears (pinion) out. Seems like the motor shafts prevents me from taking it out. I tried pulling the motor out from under the winch, but so far, the shaft seem stuck there. Do you have any how-to videos , instructions, drawings or anything that could help me?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 10 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you today.

Here is the Lewmar 48 service manual. It provides step by step instructions and pictures to servicing your winch.

http://www.lewmar.com/sites/default/files/Lewmar-Support-Downloads/Product-Literature/Manual-Winch%20Service%20Manual%20B2304%20iss6.pdf

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
We have this. But since we have the motor shaft in there, it is not helping. We cannot get the pinion out.
Expert:  Charles replied 10 months ago.

Which part in the diagram us stuck?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
14 and 19. Seems like the electrical motor shaft goes in the middle of them and prevents them from getting out. I can move them up and down like 1/8 of an inch but can't slide them out
Expert:  Charles replied 10 months ago.

I have to ask, you do have part 15 out correct?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It's out.
Expert:  Charles replied 10 months ago.

Ok had to check.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I can't find any doc on the electrical attachement. It has to attach somehow to those parts and I just can't see how to release it to get 14 and 19 out.
Expert:  Charles replied 10 months ago.

I am looking

Expert:  Charles replied 10 months ago.

Have you already tried to remove the 2 collets and then remove the Main shaft from the unit. The motor just bolts to the bottom of the windless.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Every piece was removed. These are the only 2 left. We unbolted the motor, but the shaft stayed attached. We can't remove it. We can turn it and that makes 14 and 19, but it's not disassembling.
Expert:  Charles replied 10 months ago.

The motor actually runs to the center shaft

Expert:  Charles replied 10 months ago.

What happens when you run the motor for a sec?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Not this assembly. The motor hooks clearly off center. I can tell when looking at the bolts fixing piece 16. Right now, the motor is unbolted, but if I manually turn the remains motor shaft, piece 14 aND 19 turn. I tried to attach pictures, but I'm having bandwidth trouble.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
2nd try on pics. It's dark now here... sorry.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Pictures day time.
Expert:  Charles replied 10 months ago.

Thanks,

Have you tried to remove the 4 flat tip screws from the base?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No. Would we have to reseal everything if we removed those?
Expert:  Charles replied 10 months ago.

Just the place that it bolts to the deck.