Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I just purchased a 1999 Sea Ray 340 Sundancer with T - 7.4

Customer Question

I just purchased a 1999 Sea Ray 340 Sundancer with T - 7.4 Ltr Horizon 380HP engines with V-Drives. I've been reading about water ingestion on these motors on this boat. The exhaust has never been updated to the recommended extension and elbows. Is the correct fix just the extension piping, extension piping and elbow's, or changing the mufflers and exhaust piping?
Thanks,
Rick
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Rick, my name is Jason.

How many hours are on the boat? Also, what have you been reading exactly, internet forums or something else?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Internet forums mostly. There are only 80 hours on the motors. As far as I know, the risers have never been replaced. I am replacing them now. Also, the generator motor is no good. I think it hydro locked and broke.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Im going from memory here because this is an older boat. But on the sea rays that had exhaust problems, the problem was the static waterline level was never properly accounted for, and that allowed water to get back into the cylinders. Are you famliar with the term "static waterline"?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've read about it. Supposedly the motors were mounted too low to the water line. The angle of the exhaust is a slope. The pic's I've seen on the forums show an extension piece connected to an elbow and then to the header. Another showed the exhaust connected to a muffler and then out.