Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

M Zack I'm a marine diesel technician with a custormer with

Customer Question

Customer: Im I'm Zack I'm a marine diesel technician with a custormer with a small runabout with 5.0L Volvo penta gas inboard
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: When last he used it, it died while on plane...says it was like it ran out of fuel. I took a quick look and found the fuel pump isn't coming on, so I jumped power to it and tried to start...no luck. It has spark, and the fuel pump relay is an easy fix, but I must be missing something simple. Can you help?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $26) to post your type of question to Boat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

Hello Zack. Did you jump the fuel pump directly at the pump? Did the pump come on? You should hear the pump come on when you put voltage directly to the pump.

Did you test for voltage at the fuel pump when key is turned on?

Could I get the engine model number please?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The engine is a Volvo penta 5.0 GL-E
I jumped 12 V directly to the pump...the pump ran...with power jumped I tried starting it again..no luck
Also, the relay wasn't switching by cycling the key on
Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

Hi Zack. Remove the flame arrestor and have a friend move the throttle lever back and forth do you see fuel squirting down the carb? Also open the throttle to wide open and look down the carb do you see fuel puddled in the bottom of the intake?

On the relay you need to check for voltage when cranking on the yellow/red or orange wire. Then check for voltage on the red/purple. If you have voltage then the relay is bad.

Post back with findings.

Expert:  Tan replied 10 months ago.

Here is a diagram of the fuel pump circuit. Be sure to check the ground circuit also black wire.

So you need voltage to the red/purple all the time and voltage to the yellow/red or orange when cranking.

Post back with questions and findings.