Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

I have a 2002 marada boat w mercruiser 3.0...the motor will

Customer Question

Hello jeff
I have a 2002 marada boat w mercruiser 3.0...the motor will trim up but when i hit the trim down i dont even hear the trim motor run...any thoughts?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 11 months ago.

On the bracket next to your trim pump are two solenoids. One has a blue wire it is the up solenoid. The other has a green wire and is the down solenoid.

Using a volt meter or a 12 volt test light put your tester on the large lug of the down solenoid with the green wire. Push in the trim switch and you should get voltage on the green wire. If not put the tester on the small green wire on the small terminal. and see if you get voltage when you press the down button. If you get voltage on the small green wire but not the large wire the solenoid is probably bad. If you get voltage on the large green wire but nothing happens, then the trim motor is probably bad. Usually it is the solenoid at fault.

Make sure all connections are clean and tight.

Post back what you find.

Thanks