Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

The pan my engine came with was a thin metal pan. The

Customer Question

The pan my engine came with was a thin metal pan. The replacement number is ***** The 2w 4651 is very thick and very heavy. I was able to get the old pan out of my 3600 Tiara without moving the engine block. It is going to be very difficult to get the heavy and thick replacement mounted. Is there another choice? I found a company that offers a cast aluminum replacement. Are you familiar with this?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

I assume this is the oil pan, I would not run a cast aluminum pan unless it was a freshwater only boat, it is very common for the pans to rot out, some more so than others. The best option is make sure it is painted/powdercoated very well before installing and don't gouge/scratch the paint, also try to keep it cleaned regularly.

If there are clearance issues than your only choice will be to slightly raise the engine to replace. While you have it off you may wish to inspect and possibly replace the oil pump and screen at the same time depending on condition and hours on the engine, as well as a bottom end inspection.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.