Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a 2004 Ficht 250 on a 24' Hydra Sport CC. I was low

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Ficht 250 on a 24' Hydra Sport CC. I was low on fuel and running about 5200 rpms when the motor sputtered. I reved down and limped to fuel dock. Added 50 gallons gas. Went to power up and will not rev passed 4000 rpms. Will not go on plane now. Checked all six cylinders by removing spark plug boot. 2 cylinders no difference in sound when I removed boot.
No hard codes from software report.
If water was present at bottom of fuel tank would that damage injectors or coil ?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 11 months ago.

A little water would not hurt the coils nor the injectors. Water in the fuel system could damage it.

Water in the fuel if it did pass all the filters could hurt the cylinders, but there should be a water in fuel alarm and set a code.

First thing I would do is a compression, leak down test to see the condition of the cylinders. Running the engine lean at 5200 rpm could be more damaging.

Next I would clean the entire fuel system and check for water in the filters, fuel lines etc.

Once the entire fuel system is clean I would put a fuel gauge on the engine and see if you are getting good pressure.

You say there were no codes, was the engine monitored during the test and did it meet all parameters? Your tech can also do cylinder drop tests, and injector tests. You can monitor the ignition with an inductive timing light and also do the same with each injector. If they are firing the timing light will flash.