Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

My friend has a 2001 evinrude 150 Ficht E150FSLSIF. The

Customer Question

my name is ***** ***** friend has a 2001 evinrude 150 Ficht E150FSLSIF. The problem has a few symptoms so I will do my best to describe them, please bare with me if my terminology is not quite right.The engine was just taken for a tune up a boat a month ago and had good compression in all6 cylinders, spark plugs were changed and new fuel filter was replaced. Boat ran perfect the three times it's been out since, until yesterday.I'll start simple and the boat would not turn over while in the idle position. It would turn over when taken out of gear and rpms were put anywhere from 2000 and up. When backed down on throttle it would stall out. Did this a few times to let engine run. same results. Finally removed fuel filter dumped it into clear bucket and fair amount of sand and particles in it. So put back pumped bulb many times and was finally able to get it to start in idle position. When running home from marina it stalled again. Played with primer bulb starting out of gear and finally got it started in gear and got home. Now it won't start in idle only when taken out of gear and throttle is advanced but the rpms will no longer increase above 2000 on the tachometer and when backed down the engine dies.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. First thing to check is if the spark plugs have been removed, if they were attached correctly. Check this video on how to correctly position the plugs. If they are positioned correctly let me know so that we can diagnose further.

Noel

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Spark plugs are positioned correctly. Another symptom is that it will only turn over when put in neutral and throttle is advanced forward, but no matter how far the throttle is advanced the rpms will not increase. The rpms stay at around 2000. Then when throttle is backed down to idle engine cuts off.

Question is being answered on another question