Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

My friend has a 2001 evinrude 150 Ficht E150FSLSIF. The

Customer Question

Jason, my name is ***** ***** friend has a 2001 evinrude 150 Ficht E150FSLSIF. The problem has a few symptoms so I will do my best to describe them, please bare with me if my terminology is not quite right.
The engine was just taken for a tune up a boat a month ago and had good compression in all 6 cylinders, spark plugs were changed and new fuel filter was replaced. Boat ran perfect the three times it's been out since, until yesterday.
I'll start simple and the boat would not turn over while in the idle position. It would turn over when taken out of gear and rpms were put anywhere from 2000 and up. When backed down on throttle it would stall out. Did this a few times to let engine run. same results. Finally removed fuel filter dumped it into clear bucket and fair amount of sand and particles in it. So put back pumped bulb many times and was finally able to get it to start in idle position. When running home from marina it stalled again. Played with primer bulb starting out of gear and finally got it started in gear and got home.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. First thing to check is if the spark plugs have been removed, if they were attached correctly. Check this video on how to correctly position the plugs. If they are positioned correctly let me know so that we can diagnose further.

Noel

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Spark plugs are positioned correctly. Another symptom is that it will only turn over when put in neutral and throttle is advanced forward, but no matter how far the throttle is advanced the rpms will not increase. The rpms stay at around 2000. Then when throttle is backed down to idle engine cuts off.

Ok then at this stage i suggest you get the injectors cleaned and the fuel pressure checked. A low fuel pressure will reduce drastically the power of the engine. As for the rpm on neutral it is a safety feature not to damage the engine to not allow it to go above 2000rpm at idle.

Noel

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Your suggestion makes sense to clean the injectors and get fuel pressure checked. The issue with the rpm's is not part of the safety feature as I have put it in neutral and reved it up to 3500 - 4000 rpms before just to let it warm up and run gas through it. My issue is that it seems as though there is no power being applied when the throttle is advanced. The best analogy I can give is like if you start you car in neutral and then give it gas the rpms will go up. In my case when the throttle is advanced it has no effect on the engine. I don't know if it could be an issue with the throttle linkage cable or a problem with the engine computer. I have never had this issue before. I don't know if it is connected to the problem with the boat not starting at idle and stalling or a completely separate issue. When the problem first started with the boat stalling, I was able to put it in neutral and advance the throttle to anywhere between 2000 and 4000 rpms no problem. Then the boat ran fine and when the stalling started again is when the I noticed that when we would advance the throttle the rpms would no longer increase.

Ok then that is a different story as it varies with models. In your problem then i would start with the injectors and fuel pressure as suggested. Also i would check all wiring to the sensors and injectors to make sure you have no corrosion or bad wiring since it is intermittent.

noel