Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a Mercury 150 4 stoke outboard and the trim will not

Customer Question

I have a Mercury 150 4 stoke outboard and the trim will not function.... Hear a noise when operated from the throttle and on the motor. Motor is 3 year old and is used sparingly on a Benetton pontoon. What do you recommend to troubleshoot to fix the problem
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Hi David, my name is Jason.

What kind of noise are you hearing when you hit the trim buttons? Also, a 2013 engine should be under warranty, both parts and labor, were you looking to skip your warranty and troubleshoot with us?

Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Hi David. It looks like you read my reply and logged off. Was this something you still needed help with?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will take the boat in as you mention it should under warranty, however just wanted to check to see if there was something I should look for before I take the boat 80 miles to be looked over
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

I can try. What kind of noise are you hearing?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Motor noise but no movement of motor up or down
Expert:  Tan replied 11 months ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

There are a couple of things to check the fluid level in the trim unit and that the manual tilt screw # ***** is tight.

Now Could I get the engine serial number please.

To check fluid level # ***** the engine must be in the full up position so check the manual tilt release screw first. If it is tight then we can rule out the manual tilt release as the problem. Now that we have ruled that out the manual release screw. Loosen manual release screw # ***** Counterclockwise 4-5 turns. With help from a friend lift motor up. Flip trailer latch down to hold motor up or tighten manual release screw. Now check fluid level by removing the fill screw # ***** Fluid should run out fill hole. If not top off and try trim.

If neither of these help then you will need to take the motor to the dealer.

If this doesn't look like your trim I will post the other style trim. This is the Verado trim assembly.http://www.marineengine.com/parts/mercury-outboard-parts/150-verado-4stroke4-cyl/1b517159-up-usa/power-trim-components

Post back with findings and questions.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank-you!!!
Expert:  Tan replied 11 months ago.

Your welcome...............Thank you........Tan

Please don't forget to positively rate me for my help as that is the only way I get paid.