Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 1992 glasstream 180 yahama 6 cyclinder inboard

Customer Question

I have a 1992 glasstream 180 yahama 6 cyclinder inboard outboard when you put it in forward or reverse it goes dead
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

I Jerry, my name is***** the engine is stalling out when you shift it the problem is a bad lower shift cable which runs between the shift plate and the sterndrive.

Here is a brief explanation on how the shift system works.

The boat has 2 shift cables, an upper and a lower. The upper runs from the remote control box to a shift plate, the lower runs from the shift plate down to the drive. And they connect on a shift cable bracket on the motor.

Also on that bracket is a shift interrupt switch.

The way it works is that (or supposed to work) that you can shift from nuetral to either gear no problems. But when you shift from a gear into nuetral, the upper cable will cause the lower cable to drag, and the lower cable activates the shift interrupt switch. The switchs job is to momentarily "stall' the engine for just 1/4 of a second to release the tension on the gears in the lower unit. Once the tension of the gears is released by causing the engine to bog, the gears release, the lower shift cable snaps back into place, and the shift interrupt switch turns off and the engine runs correctly. It is a bit of a process, with many things happening at once. But the overall process takes about 1/4 of a second. The engine does not actually stall, it just looses spark for a moment, and then catches itself. So it should bog and then catch, every time you shift from an in gear position to back into neutral, when the boat is on the water. (the system does not work when running the engine on the garden hose)

So when you stall, it is because the lower shift cable is worn out, and causing a bind in 1 direction, and holding that shift interrupt switch open to long, causing the engine to stall. The cable is a wear and tear item, and on average, last about 5 years before needing a new one. But having it replaced it should take care of the problem.

Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you have a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you and happy holidays!
Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Hi Jerry. No rating has been put through yet so I am just checking in. Did you have any more questions on the issue?

Thanks,
Jason