Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

50 HP Mercury No Spark on bottom two cylinders. I have

Customer Question

Customer: ***** ***** 50 HP Mercury No Spark on bottom two cylinders. I have swapped the top coil packs and made no difference. I found the white/black trigger wire broke. I pull;ed the trigger and the wire crumbled clear back to the trigger. I attempted to splice it there but not sure if it was too far gone. Can this keep two cylinders from firing?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I tried the stator test you had posted but nothing changed. Fire remained on top two cylinders and none on bottom
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $26) to post your type of question to Boat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 11 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** you working with Jeff?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I believe so
Expert:  Charles replied 11 months ago.

Ok, I will opt out and he will come along and pick up where you left off.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It may have been you Charles. Did you send me a message saying you were with a couple other folks but you would get back to me in a minute.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 11 months ago.

Hey just saw this, sorry for delay.

You need to replace the trigger. The older engines had wiring that goes bad. When the insulation goes so does the rest. The coils are about to go as well.

Once the trigger is replaced you should be OK, however check the other wiring, especially the stator. I'd recommend using CDI Electronics parts, never had a bad wire.