Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have just repowered my boat with a 1997 Suzuki DT 150 I'm

Customer Question

Hi there. I have just repowered my boat with a 1997 Suzuki DT 150 I'm hooking up the power to the engine. When I turn the ignition key to on I hear a beat for 2 seconds from the control buzzer at the same time in the motor I can hear a bit of a buzzing sound. On the earth wire to the engine there is two terminals I assume they both go to the starter motor.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 11 months ago.

Not sure what two wires you are referring to. Is it the large duplex battery cable? There shouldn't be any buzzing from the engine. When you refer to turning the key to ON do you mean just ON or START?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I have attached picture of the negative cable with the split smaller gauge coming off it. The beep i here for two seconds in the on position the first turn of key. I here a click/buzz sound from i think the electronic fuel injection unit for the same 2 seconds then when the three lights have illuminated and gone out on oil gauge after the beep i turn the key to start but nothing or no sound. I am using the old battery still. I do have a brand new optima blue top 900cca but hesitant to hook it up. I have only connected the oil and trim gauges.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It is possible the battery has no enough juice to crank but there is power to the trim and gauges
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 11 months ago.

Always use a new battery.

Check the fuse at the engine, check on the start solenoid where the battery cable attaches for 12 volts. Use a 12 volt test light or volt meter. If you have voltage there check the small black wire to the start solenoid goes to ground. Check the brown or yellow/green small wire on the solenoid it has power when the key is turned to start. If no power at the solenoid check the neutral start switch in the control.

The picture you attached, where on the boat is this?