Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

5/2011 etech 30 runs great 30=40 seconds then sputters but

Customer Question

Customer: 5/2011 etech 30 runs great for about 30=40 seconds then sputters but does not stall, throttle back to idle then fine again for 30 sec. thought was starving for fuel, changed fuel filter and problem continues
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 5/2011 etech 30 runs great for about 30=40 seconds then sputters but does not stall, throttle back to idle then fine again for 30 sec. thought was starving for fuel, changed fuel filter and problem continuesRead more: http://www.justanswer.com/boat/6k3wx-hi-just-purchased-2011-25-hp-evinrude-tec-first.html#ixzz3vfVuSaFk
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $26) to post your type of question to Boat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure thank you
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
etech 30 is on a craig cat.
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

Are you familiar with how these engines operate? They are mostly computer controlled. Do you have the SystemsCheck gauge? Do you have the cabling and software to run the computer diagnosis and check for trouble codes?

Do you have the fuel pressure gauges?

Have you tried to keep the engine primed with the primer bulb?

Does the engine start right back up or does it take a while?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have no computer plug in equipment. tried primer no change. does not stall completely just blubbers until throttle back then revs perfect
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

Ok so you throttle back then it runs ok for how long at what rpm? Then when you go to give it throttle it stumbles, correct?

Have you pulled the spark plugs?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
idles perfect. goes wide open perfect for less than a minute then stumbles yet does not stall.. throttle back repeat. fuel flow seems unrestricted. heard plugs may have to be clocked on these motors. engine had 30 hours on it when I got it and have put 10 hours on it trying to get it to straig
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like there is a restriction in the fuel delivery. You need to get hold of some fuel injection pressure gauges, run the engine, and see if the fuel pressure is sustained. You are probably running out of fuel.

I would also recommend using a remote tank to see if it is the boats fuel system or the engine. Just run the engine on a 6 gallon tank.

If it runs correctly then the hose is collapsing internally, the anti-siphon valve is restricting flow or another restriction.

Try this and post back what you find.