Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

My name is ***** *****. I have a 2000 alpha one gen 2

Customer Question

Customer: my name is ***** *****. I have a 2000 alpha one gen 2 outdrive. I raised the outdrive with the trailer switch to allow me to drop the lower unit to replace the water pump impeller. When this was finished I am unable to lower the unit. I have tried to remove the lines thinking I would relieve the hydraulicf pressure and drop the unit. this did not work. I have applied pressure(standing on outdrive) while having the down switch activated. the unit did not move down. The pump works when in up position jerking the outdrive up but...in down the pump motor runs but does not drop the unit.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: cylinder rams are clean. outdrive usually kept in down position as boat is parked on a lift. hydraulicf fluid was milky. I presume some water infiltrated. Pumped 0ne gallon of new hydraulic through system hoping that was problem. Where is bleed on pump?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $26) to post your type of question to Boat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes, if you think you have the suanswer to my problem.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Just to confirm. You removed both trim hoses from each cylinder, and you still were not able to compress either cylinder, is that correct?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
tom
yes
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Hi Tom. Are you boating in freshwater or saltwater?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
saltwater
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
r u still there?
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

I'm here. Give me a moment i'm looking for a picture.

Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Click this link to pull up a parts diagram. Let me know when you have it up and you can see it

http://www.marinepartshouse.com/cylinder-breakdown-alpha-one-gen-c-23_25_167_223.html

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I was able to pull up the pic. I have looked at it before.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

You have 1 of 2 possible problems.

1. The trim ram is bent.

2. The end cap seals are corroded and pinching the ram. This is very common in saltwater used boats.

In that picture, #22 is the end cap, and #'s 17, 18 and 19 are a series of seals and scraper rings that are pressed into the end cap.

Over time, in saltwater, what happens is #17 18 and 19 corrode, and swell up, causing the trim ram to get pinched. If you are working on this yourself. What you would do is stick the trim cylinder in a vice. And then with a tool called a pin wrench unscrew the end cap. And pull the ram out. The first thing would be to inspect the ram and see if it is bent. If it is, replace it. If not, what you would do is replace the end cap itself. The end caps come loaded with new seals inside of them. So there is no need to try to pick and pull the seals out of the end cap, simply replace the cap which comes with new seals in it.

Does that all make sense to you?

Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you and happy holidays!
Jason

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
no. It does not compute. I maintain the outdrive religiously by lubricating the pistons and raising and lowering the unit to do so. I often lubricate the endcaps. The pistons are clean and shine. I am sure the ram(s) are not bent.
Obviously this is a new problem for you. Please discontinue and refund my money as I am not confident in your solution. I will right back when I solve the problem and tell you for your future clients. Thankyou
Please acknowledge my request for refund. Tom
Expert:  Jason replied 11 months ago.

Tom I do this for a living. I live in SW Florida on the gulf in the saltwater. I repair a few dozen sets of trim cylinders every year for this same problem. Bring the boat to a dealer, and then please come on back and let me know I was correct. If the cylinders will not push in with the hydraulic lines disconnected it can only be 2 things, bent cylinders or bad end cap seals. There is no 3rd or 4th or 5th possibility. There is nothing else it can be. This is not a new problem for me.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Jason
I will write back after I solve the problem. I do appreciate your "opinion" but am not satisfied. Will you return my deposit and charge?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
are you going to cancel my charge as you promised if I was not satisfied ?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I think this is a simple question.....are you going to cancel the charge? I am not satisfied !!!!!