Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have a 2000 throttle body mercruiser that wont fire and

Customer Question

i have a 2000 throttle body mercruiser that wont fire and the fuel pump wont come on we have jumped out the coil and fuel pump and put 12 volts on it also changed the coil and the pickup in distributar still nothing i also tried a computer from another motor it plugged in on both ends 32 pins on each end as well as the original one plugs in the front of the ecm with 32 pins got any suggestions ?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

All Mercrusiers are cataloged by serial number, can I get that number so I can run it and see exactly what you have.

How old is the fuel?

Have you tried any starting fluid to see if it would run, or at least hit, on that?

Lastly, what is the story on this engine? When did it last run correctly? Has anything out of the ordinary happened to it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have looked for the serial numbers can not find them. The motor is missing the cover that has all that information on it and the motor has no tag around the bell housing.The boat was running up tell about 4 weeks ago he said he docked the boat and came out the nexted day and it would turn over but would not start. i have checked for the 3 power wires to the ECM 12v and the 2 gounds test ok aswell. Im not getting a signal from the ECM to the fuel pump relay i can jump it out and pump will come on. I know that it should come on for about 2 to 3 min after key is turned on and its not doing that eather. Now the coil has power and gound and have jumped the hot side out to 12 stell no spark and even tryed a new mercruiser coil stell not spark. It also has a new pickup in the distributar. I hope this helps.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

The serial number would be located on a metal plate, riveted to the engine block, just above the starter motor. If you look in that location, is there any serial/plate there? I would need the serial just to know what you have.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok its in a tight spot we will get it tomorow with a mirror hopefully get back with you
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Okay, let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
computer was bad thanks
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Glad to hear you got it.

Merry Christmas!

Jason

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he tried but we found out it was the computer
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you we never did find the number but anyway i had a friend with one and we tried it and it started you wouldnt happen to have a used one that works