Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma
41498811

My 2006 Crownline 275 CCR ignition/engine alarm is not

Customer Question

My 2006 Crownline 275 CCR ignition/engine alarm is not sounding when I leave the ignition key on (without starting the engine). I just recently installed a GPS Chartplotter in the dash just below the guages. I'm not sure if it happened when I did this or wire broke previously, but there is a black wire (maybe 18 ga) dangling inside behind the glovebox below the steering wheel containing the fire extinguisher. The wire is attached to a plastic approximately 3" square box mounted just above. I'm speculating that this box is the alarm but I don't know where the wire came detached from. Can someone answer?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. Can you please advise the engine model you have so that i can check the wiring diagram?

Noel

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hi Noel. The engine is a Mercruiser 496 (375 HP).Dennis

Hi Dennis since it is a Mercruiser engine you should have a single wiring loom that connects to all the gauges. As for the alarm the wires that go to it should be colored tan-blu and purple.

Noel

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
It's a dangling black wire coming out of the approximately 3" black plastic thing (alarm?) that I don't know where it connects to. Would that be a ground wire for it? Again, I'm just making a guess that this is why I'm not getting a solid alarm when I turn the key on without actually starting the engine.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
You still haven't answered my question about the loose black wire and where it should go. I'm waiting on that before I provide a rating.

Hi Dennis, the standard alarm colours are tan blu and purple, thus i do not know what the black wire is, If it has been replaced from standard or not. As for this box does this have another wire? what color it is. Can you send me a pic of this alarm?

Noel

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Noel, I figured out what the box is. It's a Aqua Signal RF Wireless Remote and FOB for turning cockpit courtesy lights on and off when you're leaving or returning to boat in the dark. The dangling black wire is no doubt an antenna wire of sort. I finally held my phone/camera up inside with a light shining and was able to read the label on the black box.
http://www.foreandaftmarine.com/40-171007.htmThat addresses the dangling black wire. But what would be causing the warning alarm not to sound when the ignition key is in the 'On' position without starting the engine? If you can give me some guidance with that I'll provide a good rating. ThanksDennis