Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

2006merc 250xs, computer reads check engine fault injector.

Customer Question

Can you give me an idea of what could be wrong. Boat sat for a couple of months. We put stabil in the fuel.
Thanks,
Marty ***@******.***
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Marty, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

Fault injector means either one of the 6 fuel injectors,, or one of the 6 air injectors, is either unplugged, or has an open or short circuit.

The easiest way to figure out which it is, is by doing a cylinder drop test with the scan tool. what that entails is running the engine, and then with the scan tool turning off a cylinder and seeing if the RPMS drop or not. If they do, then that cylinder is firing, and you would turn that cylinder back on, and then move on to the next. That is the easiest to tell which cylinder the problem is on. Without a scan tool, what you can do with a pair of insulating spark plug pliers is to disconnect each plug wire one at a time to shut down the cylinder that way. If you get to a cylinder where there is no drop in RPM when disconnecting that plug wire, then you know it is either the fuel injector or air injector for that cylinder that is at fault. After locating which cylinder it is one, then it is simply disconnecting the 2 inejectors and measuring the internal resistance with a multimeter. One of the 2 inejctors will come back reading as either open or short. Does that all make sense?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Just checking in. The website has charged you for speaking with me but they will not credit me for helping you out until a rating is put through. No rating has been done yet, so I wanted to see if you had any further questions on the issue.

Thanks,
Jason