Noel Schembri
Noel Schembri, Marine Technician
Experience:  Advanced technical diploma
41498811

I have a 04 225 mercury efi it has a steady beep at 4000 rpm

Customer Question

I have a 04 225 mercury efi it has a steady beep at 4000 rpm i let off it stops i get on plan it is ok the rest of the time if i dont shut it off i stop and go no problem
Category: Boat
Expert:  Noel Schembri replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. The solid alarm will indicate an overheat. Since the alarm only sounds once i am thinking that the problem is coming from the temperature sensor. Do you have a temperature gauge? Is it reading overheat?

Noel

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't have a Temperature gauge but I shot the engine with a electronic thermostat and its reading about 111 degrees it seems to do it when I first take off I let off hit the throttle again sometimes it does it again sometimes it doesn't if I turn the steering wheel back and forth it seems to straight out could it be a bad connection in the wiring harness I put a new thermostats and water pump in it

Hi, yes it seems that the problem here is either a bad connection or a corroded lead. Best thing to do is to start by checking all the earth leads and the wires going from the ECU to the sensor for corrosion. The earth leads tend to corrode from behind as on the front normally there is resin on them. Also let someone steer the engine and check the wiring for anything that may be shorting to ground or getting loose etc...

Keep me updated of your findings

Noel