Jeff G.
Jeff G., Marine Mechanic
Experience:  42 years experience, Certified Master Technician, All Major Outboards, Sterndrives, Hi-Performance
27391725

Replacing my ignition switch on merc old box with coke above

Customer Question

replacing my ignition switch on merc old box with coke above key...will a 6 wire push to coke work ? where does the 6th wire go ? maybe to the coke wire bypassing the coke button ?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jeff G. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, exactly. Cut both wires off the choke button but leave the button in place. If you look at the key switch, if a terminal type with screws there will be a terminal with a C this is the choke. After securing all the leads to the terminals, wrap the key switch in a couple rounds of electrical tape to protect from touching anything in the box. Use ring terminals on the switch.

There is a "Mercury" type switch with leads already in position, however these are sometimes hard to fit in the box. I use the terminal type.

Thanks