Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I was using my Hewes 18' redfisher this weekend. As I was

Customer Question

Hi there,
I was using my Hewes 18' redfisher this weekend. As I was running up the river, when i started using the trim tabs i noticed my fish finder kept going off. I turned it back on a few times, and it would come back on until using the trim tabs again. On about the third iteration the fish finder went off and did not come back on. At this time I also noticed my NAV lights and all my other accessories on the accessory panel were off and would not turn on.
Today I disassembled the battery switch, cleaned all the connections to the battery switch as well as the ground. I noticed one 40 amp fuze was blown, so I replaced that. The engine still starts, the tilt on the motor still works, but none of the accessories work at all. The only thing I was able to rectify was that the power pole light illuminates, but still does not operate. Of note, when I was working on the battery switch, i found one small red wire that connect to batt 1 broke off (on the end that connects to
Category: Boat
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you today.

Does your boat have a trolling motor as well as the main motor?

What year is your boat?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2006 Hewes with a 2006 Yamaha F115. No trolling motor, but it did have a second battery added when I added a sound system to it. It has a normal battery switch 1 / 2 / both / off. I scrubbed all the battery connections and grounds and that looks good.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One small diameter wiring connection coming off of battery 1 to this "shortstop" fuze (attached) was totally wasted off in the shortstop fuze.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i found one 40 amp fuze (just a single one kind of disguised in a wire bundle near the battery switch) that was blown. I have already replaced that but still not getting any power to any accessories.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Sorry about the delay, was having internet issues.

Does your boat have a master power switch at the console as well as the battery switch at the batteries?

Is the engine also running from the switch, or is it directly on the battery?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No power switch in the console. Just in the transom. The engine runs from the battery switch, and works with either 1, 2, or both.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Ok,

Have you recently had the batteries out of the boat, or had any work done in the console?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not until i discovered the issue on Saturday, I pulled the batteries today and cleaned all the cable fittings (both where they attach to the battery switch and where they ground out)
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

When was the last time that everything worked?

Did you notice a electrical burnt smell when in the rear of the boat? That breaker looks burnt.

Can you access any of the console?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Didn't smell burnt - it was definitely rusted out pretty bad, and same with the other screw that connects one of the wires.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Can you post a pic of the battery tops? I would like to see the wiring. Perhaps I will see something there.

It is odd that the console and the power pole don't work but the engine does.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Can you access the console on your boat. I know that on some of these, it does pivot fwd.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yeah there's a small hatch underneath the center console.
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Look inside the console and see if any of the black or red wires may be burnt. That would account for the console not working but not the power pole.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what's weird is that once i replaced the 40 amp fuze (only fuze popping out of a bundle of wires near the battery switch) the power pole (which initially wasn't turning on at all) was at least getting some power to it. The green light comes on, but the unit doesn't function as advertised. Could something have shorted when i was using the trim tabs? because that's when i first noticed that the power was starting to cut off to the console
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Are your tabs Bennit or Lenco?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
lenco
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Then it is very much possible that one of the motors or the controller could be shorted. Locate the reds that fed each of the tabs and the one for the control and unhook them. Then see if you get anything back on the console or the power pole.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what does the small gauge wire that runs from the battery switch to the "shortstop" fuze do? (The one that rusted out). I'm sure that needs to be worked on as well, but not convinced that's what's causing the problem.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i think getting to the trim tabs is going to be hard - it's a flats boat and I can't see where those wire bundles go to the tabs themselves
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

I know the layout of the boat. I worked on them when I was in the Keys. Very tight back there.

Will the broken wire of that breaker reach the positive post of one of the batteries? If so touch it there then hit a switch on the dash, see if anything works, That broken wire is possible the main feed to the helm.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yeah the wire won't stretch that far so not sure on that one. how would i get to the trim tab area wiring?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

the tabs will hook up at the battery switch. There will be a red and a black wire that lead to both of them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK - so basically two red wires going to the battery switch (one from each tab) and then two black ground wires going to the ground receptacle?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 year ago.

Yes, just undo the reds.

But I also feel that if you cannot hook up that one broken red wire, you are still not going to get anything.