Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology. Gas and diesel marine mechanic.
44667847

I have an 85 horse evinrude. had it serviced a few weeks

Customer Question

i have an 85 horse evinrude . had it serviced a few weeks back went to try start it but i can't get it to go. mind u i have never started a boat motor before so i have no idea how to do it correctly
Category: Boat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i'm thinking im doing something wrong, with the levers and switchers. or maybe stale fuel
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Good morning, my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Can you tell me step by step how you are trying to start it. Also, what is the model number on the engine?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi It's Craig here. Hooked the fuel line, pumped the fuel up. Put the water hose on as it is out of the water. Went to start , by lifting the lever that says lift to start. Then turned the key to start but it won;t start. There is a little toggle switch just below the key . which i have no idea what that is for.. You see i have bought this boat just recently, as i have never had a boat. I'm not sure how to go about it. the fella that serviced was going to show but never did. Not sure of the model. though it is an old motor on a
1976 model boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hi Craig.

Is the engine cranking over but not starting? Or is not turning over at all when you turn the key?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's 11.30 pm here. So going out in the dark to check the number would be hard to do. Yes it's turning over.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Got it. A 76 model would use a traditional choke. Are you pushing in on the key switch to activate the choke when trying to start it? You didn't mention it so I thought I would ask.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
well there is nothing with a choke name on it. There is the forward and reverse lever. To the side of that is a smaller lever . which has on it lift to start, which i did. Plus a toggle switch just below the key this appears to go up and down.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Being so old somebody could have changed something. But the way it is supposed to work is you turn the key to run in order to power everything up. Then push in on the key to activate the choke. And then turn it to start while holding the key in. That is how it is supposed to work.

If you turn your key to run, and then push it in, can you hear any clicking coming from the engine? This would be the sound of the choke solenoid clicking. Check that and let me know if it's working or not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok will do in the morning and get back to you. Hope it works as I'm meant to take it and the kids out for a play tomorrow. Thanks for your time Jason.
Regards
Craig
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome Craig, let me know how you make out.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok i will
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Sounds good. Have a good night.

-Jason

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. Just checking in, any luck?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tried everything you said to try. But it still didn't start.
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Were you able to hear the choke solenoid click when you pushed in on the key switch?