Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I HAVE A VOLVO 2003B MARINE DIESEL, I HAVE CHANGED THE FUEL

Customer Question

I HAVE A VOLVO 2003B MARINE DIESEL, I HAVE CHANGED THE FUEL FEEDER LINE FROM THE TANK TO THE FIRST FUEL FILTER, BOTH THE FEEDER LINE AND RETURN LINE WERE REMOVED AND NOW I DON'T KNOW WHICH CONNECTION IS USED ON THE VOLVO FUEL TANK, ONE FITTING HAS A ALUMINUM SQUARE FITTING AND ONE HAS JUST A BARBED FITTING. WHICH IS USED FOR THE FUEL FEED, I'M HAVING A HARD TIME GETTING AIR OUT OF THE FUEL SYSTEM.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

The fuel feed will have a tube that runs to the bottom of the tank. The return line will just dump into the top of the fuel tank. You won't be able to blow back through the fuel pick up fitting. You can blow through the return fitting. So with a short piece of hose connect to one of the fittings and blow on the hose. If you can't blow air into the fitting that is the fuel feed. If you can blow air into the fitting then that will be fuel return.

Now if you have the fuel lines connected now and you can't get the air out you most likely have the lines connected in reverse. The return fitting won't allow the engine to suck fuel out of the tank as it doesn't go down into the fuel.

Does this make sense?

Post back with questions.