Kenny O.
Kenny O., Personal Watercraft Specialist, Kawasaki Jet Ski, Yamaha Wave Runners, Sea Doo Watercraft
Experience:  Product Specialist Kawasaki Factory Support 24 Years, 8 years National Technical Director IJSBA
30381042

Re: YG6600DE Generator, replaced battery, turn over three

Customer Question

Re: YG6600DE Generator, replaced battery, turn over three different times but now nothing, will not try to start.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** questions ?

1. Has you been using this unit and all of a sudden this happened where it wouldn't run ?
  2. If the unit has been sitting, how long ?
  3. Current hours on the unit.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I run the unit once a year for an hour, this is my back up generator in case power goes out in my house. I have always used the pull rope to start the motor and never the electrical starter. I would say the total hours are less than 100.I have now crossed the positive terminal on the solenoid with the negative side and solenoid engages then spins. The generator motor will turn over with the pull rope. Since the starter motor has never been used do you think there is something wrong may be froze up? Also when I use an idiot light I have power to the solenoid, then when I push the start button (Nothing happens) but I checked to see if I have power to the other side of solenoid, but again nothing again.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

OK well, it appears that you might have a few things going on, just clarify something here for me, you state in your last reply that "the generator motor will turn over with the rope" Does it start ? I have a feeling that you might have a carb problem (dirty from unstable fuel)

And then we can go through diagnosing your electrical problem, you will need a multi-meter and do you have a service manual for this unit, if not don't worry about that it just makes in easier for both of us when I need to refer to a procedure in the manual.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was not clear on the issue. The generator motor runs fine, starts fine with the pull rope. My issue is with a starter that has never been used before prior to two days ago. When I first connected battery and pushed the start button it cranked the generator motor over just fine but after a couple times trying to start the motor the push button for the starter stopped. The starter button no longer works, I think this the issue.
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

Tim ? OK I understand now, do you have a multi-meter and would you like to work with me and diagnose the problem, you will likely have to pull a few things apart, I'm thinking it will be something pretty simple ? I was gone all day and just got home.

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would like to work with you. There are four screws that will remove the panel and start button is inside a box that goes along the entire back of the panel. I think I would need to get into that box?
Expert:  Kenny O. replied 1 year ago.

OK, thanks I got you now, yes you will need to get to the control box, and then once in there you will want to disconnect the red and the red/white wires to the switch, from the manual it looks like they are separate wires rather then a dinn plug. Once disconnect make your self a little jumper wire and you want to connect the two, at that point the engine should turn over. (also make sure obviously that your battery is in good shape)

Let me know what you come up with.

Thanks

Expert:  Kenny O. replied 12 months ago.

Morning Tim, did you get to try what I suggested ?

Thanks

Kenny