Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I attempted to crank my 1994 Mercruiser. When I t the trim

Customer Question

I attempted to crank my 1994 Mercruiser. When I hit the trim button, I could hear the motor running, but the trim did not go down. I tried several times but nothing. I checked the fluid levels, but they were fine. I cranked the motor about a month ago, with no problems. Help?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

I don't understand how the trim has anything to do with the engine cranking?

Is the drive in the up position?

Are you trying to put the drive down so you can crank the engine?

Will the engine attempt to crank even with drive up?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was attempting to put the drive down so I could crank it. The engine will turn over but I was told not to crank it in the upright position.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Ok so the engine will crank it is the drive you are having trouble with correct?

Have a friend stand on the drive while you push the down trim button.

The drive can get stuck in the up position from sitting.

Post back with results.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'll try that right now. I'm sorry about the miscommunication. I'm new to the whole boat thing. Just bought it this past spring.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Ok let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nothing. Still won't move. Tried to four or five times. I weigh 250 so I figured to was enough weight.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My name is***** live in SE Georgia.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Ok Neal we are going to have to remove one of the trim lines from one trim ram. Remove the most forward hydraulic line on the trim ram. Catch the oil in a container. Does the drive drop down? If the drive stays in the up position still then you have corroded end caps in the trim rams and the rams will have to be disassembled and the trim caps replaced. If the drive drops down the trim pump has a stuck valve and will have to be repaired. These services will have to be done by a Marine technician.

Post back with findings.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK thanks. I will try it.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

What happens is the end caps # ***** get corrosion in the cap where the o-ring rid against the trim rod. This creates pressure preventing the trim from retracting not allowing the drive to tilt down. This is common in salt water applications.

The trim pump only produces about 800 psi to trim the drive down and around 2800 psi to trim the drive up.

The easiest way to do the repair is to just replace the trim ram caps. This requires a spanner wrench for removal of the caps. The caps run about $ 66.42 in this link the dealer will charge more. http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Merc2/Mercruiser/Alpha%20One%20Gen%20II%20%28Drive%20%26%20Transom%29/0D469859%20THRU%200F679999%20%281991-1995%29/Power%20Trim%20Cylinder%20Repair%20Kits/parts.html

Here is a link to the spanner wrench. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/262152465485?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82

Post back if you need further assistance.

Please don't forget to positively rate me for my help as that is the only way I get paid.

Follow up questions are always welcome on this subject at no extra charge.

Thank you...........Tan