Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

How do i find leak in bottom on seaward 25 sail boat that

Customer Question

how do i find leak in bottom on seaward 25 sail boat that has had all sensor and drive shaft openings sealed and tested?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Hello and good afternoon,

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

Best thing to do is have the boat out of the water, check the keel and check for hairline cracks and major gouges, if there are none and hull is not damaged in any way then check transom around such as drain plugs, screws, any openings. Check water pickups and any thru-hulls for plumbing leaks (internally), a fitting could also have corrosion and or be cracked and allowing water in even it it has been sealed. Check bow eye and also check things like rails and lighting holes that could allow water in. Sometimes water can be put in the hull while out of water and have the water leak out of the area the water is coming in from (hull/fitting). Check the coupler/bearing and see if when in water if the water is entering in the shaft area, a lot of it at first is just watching where the water is entering while the boat is in the water using a flashlight if possible so that you at the least have an area to focus on.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.