Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

Will water from rain getting in exhaust manifold on my 7.4l

Customer Question

will water from rain getting in exhaust manifold on my 7.4l mercruiser while boat is sitting damage motor? I had top part of manifold off and received heavy rains,water standing in manifold.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

If it rained hard enough you can get water in the cylinders where the exhaust valves are open. Before starting the engine remove the spark plugs and crank the engine over to blow out any water that could have gotten in to the cylinders.

Water in the cylinders can damage the engine if you crank engine without removing the spark plugs. Do this procedure will save you from damage.

Post back if you have questions on this issue.

Thank you........Tan