Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

Can I modify a 1996 OMC 5.7 to be used in a 1988 boat? I see

Customer Question

Can I modify a 1996 OMC 5.7 to be used in a 1988 boat? I see cutoff years at around 1995 when shopping for a short block. Any idea what the difference is?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

What matters is what engine and sterndrive is in the boat now. What is in the boat now for power?

Also, are you looking to change the engine and sterndrive in the 88 boat. Or simply remove the engine from that boat, but wanting to use the existing sterndrive?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
1988 Bayliner cabin cruiser. OMC outdrive. Not looking to change the outdrive since it would require massive modifications to go to something like merc (which i have extensive experience in) I am simply looking to pull an engine that runs fine but seems to steam a little and replace with a shortblock. I see a nice 1995 available for a good price but will it bolt up?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay, I had to take a call. Do you happen to have the model number on this new engine?

Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

As well as the model number on the old engine as well. There are 2 different considerations/things that I need to look at in order to see if you can use the new engine or not.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bidding is ending too soon. I'm just gonna shop for exact year match instead. Thanks anyway
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Is this an item on Ebay I can take a look at, do you have the items listing?

Basically there are 2 things you need to look for in order to get a correct engine.