Dominick
Dominick, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  25 Years Experience as Mechanic, 20 Yrs Boat Yard Owner/Mechanic, Factory Certified
14379177

I have a Yamaha wave runner and when we were changing

Customer Question

I have a Yamaha wave runner and when we were changing battery we restarted engine and engine wouldn't shut off via stop button or kill switch
Category: Boat
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

Hi and thank you for your question.

This sounds like a secondary ground wire did not get reconnected when you replaced the battery. You didn't specify which Wave Runner, model or year so I cannot be more specific than that right now.

If it is a 2 stroke, you can check the engine stop switch by disconnecting the 2 wire connector that has a white wire and a black wire in it. The switch connects the white wire to the black which grounds the ignition and stops the engine. You can check for continuity to ground on the harness side of the black wire and on the switch side check from white to black, showing continuity when the button is pushed.

If you need more help, let me know but give me the model and year of your WR so I can be more specific.

Thanks

RSRBOB

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
4 stroke VX deluxe? There was no grounding wire attached. There are two so we were recharging batteries in both. Both hooked up the same way. The failure to turn off problem is specific to only one.
Expert:  RSRBOB replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

This definitely sounds like a grounding issue.

Check for a ground on the black wire coming out of the handlebar switch then check for the continuity through it. Something must have gotten disturbed in the process of the battery exchange, or we are dealing with a bad connection.

RSRBOB