Joe
Joe, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

40hh want remove outboard motor from the transom. How do I

Customer Question

40hh want remove outboard motor from the transom. How do I remove the cables connected to motor?
Category: Boat
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Are you asking about the control cables, the throttle and shift cables?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Albert
Control cables with the battery, fuse , hot line &awhile wire to the starter
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.

All of it's pretty basic to remove, and it's not something that is even covered in the service manuals. Which would be convienent if they did because I could just give you the pages out of that. I'm not sure how to put it into words. Are you in the process of doing this work and getting stuck someplace?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  Joe replied 1 year ago.

Hello Albert,

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.

The harness will be a plug and play simply disconnect it and then for your control cables you will simply disconnect the throttle and shift cables at the linkages by undoing them, once that is done and since you have stated you already disconnected the main power/ground and steering cables then all that will be left is to attach a lifting device to the engine and then you will simply remove the housing bolts, make sure to cut any sealant which will help allow the engine to be removed, if 3m 5200 was used it can be extremely difficult to remove the engine as that stuff alone I have seen hold engines on with no bolts and bonds very well.

If something is not wanting to come loose and you are getting stuck please provide the engine model number to me and explain the situation to which I will be more than happy to further assist you.

Thank you!
- Joe

Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!

If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.