Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 1987 29 foot twin engine In board, it is a

Customer Question

I have a 1987 29 foot twin engine In board, it is a crusader. Are there drain plugs I need to remove for winter. It is a straight shaft drive twin screws. Also are there plugs to remove from the engine compartment and hull.
Category: Boat
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Are these engines freshwater cooled with a closed cooled cooling system?

Crusader makes 2 different cooling systems raw water cooled and fresh water closed cooling system.

The raw water cooled system requires removal of drain plugs on the sides of the engine block,exhaust manifolds, oil coolers and raw water pump.

The closed cooling system only require draining of the raw water pump, heat exchanger and oil coolers.

As for the hull you will have a drain plug in the back of the boat at the transom very bottom. This only needs to be removed if the boat is out of the water.

The other systems in the boat that need to be winterized are the fresh water system, the waste tank and the hot water heater.

Post back with the specifics on the engines and other questions you have on your boat for storage.

Thank you Tan